Diesel Fuel & the Cold Weather.
Diesel is the most commonly used fuel in heavy duty applications and requires filtering to ensure that any contaminants have been removed before they can cause stoppages, or serious damage resulting in complete failure, to the diesel system components. In-line fuel elements can stop the larger, damaging contaminants such as rust and sediment from the fuel tank entering the fuel system.
Diesel filters are important as they have to protect the fuel pump and injectors not only from abrasive particles but also from minute droplets of water often found in diesel fuel. Injectors and diesel pumps are precision machined components and are very costly to repair or replace. It is much more cost effective to change the filters at their regular service intervals rather than have to pay the cost of even one breakdown repair bill.
You also have to remember that at this time of year water in your fuel (or in any of your machines liquids) can freeze causing damage, blockages and downtime for your engine or machine so its important to maintain water separation from diesel to prevent avoidable issues when the weather is sub zero.
Sterling Filtration offers a range of replacement fuel filter elements and spin on canisters. We can also offer various fuel housings for particulate and water removal and fuel additive for maintenance of your fuel system.
Fuel Filter Maintenance – Know Your Basics.
Best practices for fuel maintenance intervals.
- Drain water from your primary filter daily when refuelling.
- Carry a spare set of fuel filters in case you receive a bad load of fuel.
- Never switch to more open filters to get longer filter life – this will reduce fuel pump and injector life.
- If using biodiesel, make certain your fuel supplier meets current fuel standards.
- Ensure that your engine is compatible with the concentration (or percent) biodiesel you wish to use.
- When using your own fuel tank, remember that removing contaminants before they reach the vehicle is the best. Therefore, it is best to use some type of bulk filtration or filtering funnel (also available from Sterling Filtration Ltd).